Below you will find recent updates and photos of each of our Atlanta BeltLine projects in construction or design along with links to get more general information about each project. Additionally, you can explore current design and construction projects via map and list view here. These projects play a pivotal role in furthering the Atlanta BeltLine vision to be the catalyst for making Atlanta a global beacon for equitable, inclusive, and sustainable city life.
All upcoming and past public meetings (still being held virtually) can be found at www.beltline.org/meetings. Click here to catch up on August’s design and construction updates. The third Quarterly Briefing took place virtually on September 22. Download the presentation and watch the meeting.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 1: A 60% design package has been received for this segment, which runs from the northern end of the Eastside Trail to Westminster Drive. A portion of the trail runs through Piedmont Park. ABI has reviewed the design with Piedmont Park Conservancy and City of Atlanta Parks Department, and this collaboration will continue at all stages of design. Construction is expected to bid and start in 2023.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 2: Work is underway on the retaining walls under the Piedmont Avenue overpass, as well as clearing, grading, retention ponds, and the construction of a utility ductbank. Some of the wooden piles on the existing wood bridge over Clear Creek bridge will require replacement and repair and that work is expected to begin in the next few months. Work on the installation of light poles continues along the paved portion of the trail. We thank you for your patience as work crosses into the open portion of the trail at times. A virtual community meeting was held on September 20. Download the presentation or watch the meeting recording.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 3: A 60% design package is under review by the ABI team. ABI is coordinating engineering reviews required for a bridge crossing over the CSX railroad. Investigative work to identify the location of a sewer main line will be in progress soon, as well as geotechnical boring work for future bridge structures.
- Details on each Northeast Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 1, Segment 2, Segments 3.
- Atlanta Streetcar East extension: ABI and MARTA held joint public meetings on September 12 (in person) and September 13 (virtually) regarding transit between the existing streetcar Downtown and Ponce de Leon Avenue. A video and updates from the meeting are available at StreetcarEast.com. Design and engineering plans are at 30%.
- Ponce de Leon Avenue Streetscapes: The contractor, JHC Construction, has mobilized and work is underway. Work will start at the east end of the project site working to the west up the north side of Ponce de Leon and then down the south side of Ponce de Leon. The contractor has started clearing work at the location of the new access ramp to the BeltLine. This project is expected to take at least 18 months to complete. Monthly updates on our website will be posted at www.beltline.org/ponce. A virtual community meeting was held on September 8. Download the presentation or watch the meeting recording.
- Southside Trail – Segments 2 – 3: The construction of Segments 2 and 3 is still on track to be bid for construction in September 2023. This segment is tied to federal dollars and the federal construction process.
- McDonough Tunnel: ABI has hired an engineering consultant to design potential solutions where the interim trail is flooding in the McDonough tunnel. Design engineering is in progress and is expected to be complete in a few weeks. ABI will proceed with recommendations which are expected to include the installation of drainage piping and additional gravel, while balancing cost, since this section of trail will be under construction very soon.
- Southside Trail – Segments 4 – 5: An Invitation to Bid was posted to hire a construction firm for Segments 4 and 5 on August 26, and ABI is currently targeting to have the bid awarded and under contract by the end of the year or early 2023. The fiber relocation contractor is setting up road crossing bores at United Avenue and Ormewood Avenue this week. The installation of manholes and pulling communications fiber into the new conduit will be the next step in the fiber relocation project. The construction start will be scheduled after all fiber relocation work is complete. The Segment 4 and 5 project scope includes the rebuilding of the bridge over United Avenue.
- Details on each Southside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segments 2, 3, 4, and 5.
- Westside Trail – Segment 3: All are welcome and encouraged to join a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the opening of this 1.2-mile segment of mainline trail on October 18 at 10 a.m. The ceremony will take place at the plaza where the Westside BeltLine Connector meets the new terminus at Westside Trail – Segment 3 just east of where the trail crosses Law Street.
- Westside Trail – Segment 4: This project is ready to go out to bid for construction, pending the completion of real estate right-of-way work. ABI is working to put this project out to bid for construction this calendar year.
- Details on each Westside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 3 and Segment 4.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 1: Survey work and early trail design development is in progress on this segment.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 2: The prioritized alignment was announced in August, which completes the planned path for the multi-use trail for the Northwest Trail. Segment 2 will now move into design and engineering in October.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 3: Survey work continues on this segment, between the Hemphill Waterworks and Tanyard Creek Park.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 4: This segment will move into design and engineering in October.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 5: Survey work and early trail design development is in progress on this segment.
- Details can be found in our design and construction updates: Northwest Trail study.
- Information can be found here regarding CSX’s work to replace the wooden railroad trestle that runs between Tanyard Creek Park and Ardmore Park and over the Atlanta BeltLine Northside Trail. The work is expected to last through 2022. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.