Below you will find recent updates and photos of each of our Atlanta BeltLine projects in construction or design along with links to get more general information about each project. Additionally, you can explore current design and construction projects via map and list view here. These projects play a pivotal role in furthering the Atlanta BeltLine vision to be the catalyst for making Atlanta a global beacon for equitable, inclusive, and sustainable city life.
All upcoming and past public meetings (still being held virtually) can be found at www.beltline.org/meetings. Click here to catch up on June’s design and construction updates. The third Quarterly Briefing will take place virtually on September 15.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 1: A 60% design package is expected next month for this segment, which runs from the northern end of the Eastside Trail to Westminster Drive.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 2: Clearing is well underway around the Piedmont Avenue bridge, with crews at work prepping the easternmost bay under the bridge for the multiuse trail to come through. The trail alignment and location of the future ramp at the northeast corner of the trail / road intersection can be viewed in this Northeast Trail presentation from April 13.
Work on light poles installation along the paved portion of the trail continues. That section will remain open, although we appreciate your patience in cases where the work may extend onto the trail.
The short, unpaved section to the north will remain open to trail users until construction commences on that segment. ABI will notify the public of trail closures on other sections as construction advances. Construction activities are expected to continue for the next year.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 3: A 60% design package was received this month from the design team, Heath & Lineback, and is under review by the ABI team.
- Details on each Northeast Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 1, Segment 2, Segments 3.
- Atlanta Streetcar East extension: ABI submitted comment to the MARTA project team on the 30% design plans for streetcar transit to extend from the existing downtown streetcar to Ponce de Leon Avenue along the Atlanta BeltLine. The 30% plans are expected to be complete this fall.
- Ponce de Leon Avenue Streetscapes: ABI has executed a contract with the contractor for this project, JHC Construction. Once an agreement between Invest Atlanta and GDOT is executed, a notice to proceed will be issued to the contractor to begin work. A community meeting will be scheduled to introduce the community to the contractor and review the project schedule in the next month.
- Southside Trail – Segment 1: There are a number of follow-on projects in the works along this segment of the Southside Trail. Permitting work is complete for a connecting sidewalk at Manford Road and construction bidding is in progress. A drainage improvement project was started mid-month to better manage storm water along the Rangewater development. Concrete piping delivery has been delayed and additional drainage work will be completed once the pipe is delivered. Some landscaping materials have been temporarily removed and will be replaced by Trees Atlanta once the work is complete.
- Southside Trail – Segments 2 – 3: ABI’s contractor, Reeves Young, has completed brownfield remediation work in the trail. Testing work in the next step in the project to confirm that all remediation work is complete. The construction of Segments 2 and 3, which is tied to federal dollars and the federal construction process, is targeting a construction bid date in September of 2023.
ABI has hired an engineering consultant to design potential solutions where the interim trail is flooding in the McDonough tunnel. ABI will proceed with recommendations which will likely include the installation of drainage piping and additional gravel, which balancing cost since this section of trail will be under construction very soon.
- Southside Trail – Segments 4 – 5: The Southside Trail Segments 4 and 5 have moved into the shovel ready phase of work, where permitting, final real estate transactions, and utility relocation work is completed prior to the bid being let for construction. An Invitation to Bid is currently scheduled for mid-August with a construction start expected in late October or early November. Brownfield work is now complete, and fiber relocation work is underway and scheduled to complete prior to the mobilization of the contractor this fall. The Segment 4 and 5 project scope includes the rebuilding of the bridge of United Avenue.
- Southside Trail – Segment 6: This fall, ABI will be soliciting an engineering design team to complete design work on a permanent trail solution at Bill Kennedy Way and the trail crossing at I-20. The project scope of work will be the addition of a separate trail bridge across I-20 and required modifications to adjacent trails north and south for an improved trail experience.
- Details on each Southside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segments 2, 3, 4, and 5.
- Westside Trail – Segment 3: Work is advancing to complete the remaining segment of this trail over the railroad corridor at Marietta Boulevard. Concrete placement for the trail across the bridge is in progress. Trees Atlanta’s tree and shrub planting is complete while seeding continues. Benches and trash cans were installed earlier this month. This 1.2-mile segment of mainline trail is still on track to be finished in September.
- Westside Trail – Segment 4: The design team has delivered 90% drawings for this segment of the Westside Trail that will connect from Washington Park to the southern end of Segment 3. The project has moved into the shovel ready phase of work, and the team is working through permitting, real estate transactions, and preparing to bid the project in late 2022 or early 2023.
- Details on each Westside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 3 and Segment 4.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 1: Survey work began this month on this segment, which runs between Peachtree Park Apartments and Kinsey Court.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 2: Community and business engagement continues on this segment with the announcement of a prioritized alignment expected later this summer.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 3: Survey work began this month on this segment, between the Hemphill Waterworks and Tanyard Creek Park.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 4: This segment will move into design and engineering at the same time as Segment 2, after the alignment has been determined.
- Northwest Trail – Segment 5: Survey work began this month on this segment, between Huff Road and English Street.
- Click here to download the Northwest Trail Feasibility Study (15 MB PDF).
- Details can be found in our design and construction updates: Northwest Trail study.
- Information can be found here regarding CSX’s work to replace the wooden railroad trestle that runs between Tanyard Creek Park and Ardmore Park and over the Atlanta BeltLine Northside Trail. The work is expected to last through 2022. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.