Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. and Mayor Andre Dickens will host a groundbreaking of the Northeast Trail-Segment 1 on Friday, August 4 at 11am. This 0.9-mile section is the latest segment of the BeltLine to go under construction. It meets the Eastside Trail at 10th and Monroe and runs alongside and through a portion of Piedmont Park from Monroe Drive to Westminster Drive, where it will connect to the Northeast Trail-Segment 2, slated for completion this fall. The trail will tie together the neighborhoods of Midtown, Virginia Highland, and Morningside.
The groundbreaking ceremony will take place at Park Tavern. Also in attendance will be:
- Mayor Andre Dickens, City of Atlanta
- Solomon Caviness, Commissioner, ATLDOT
- Justin Cutler, Commissioner, Department of Parks and Recreation
- Alex Wan, Atlanta City Councilmember, District 6
- Dana Barrett, Fulton County Commissioner, District 3
- Natalie Hall, Fulton County Commissioner, District 4
- Michelle Olympiadis, Atlanta Public School Board Member, District 3
- Mark Banta, Executive Director, Piedmont Park Conservancy
- Leah Matthews, President, Virginia-Highland Civic Association
- Clyde Higgs, President and CEO, Atlanta BeltLine, Inc.
The BeltLine is working jointly with ATLDOT to complete additional pedestrian safety improvements at the intersection of 10th and Monroe Dr. in conjunction with the trail construction project as it crosses Monroe Drive.
Construction activities will start the week of August 7 on phase I of the project, which will require closure of Piedmont Park’s Carriage Trail from Evelyn Street to Westminster Drive. The schedule to complete construction is approximately 14 months.
Information on design and construction can be found on the Northeast Trail – Segment 1 project page.