Below you will find recent updates and photos of each of our Atlanta BeltLine projects in construction or design along with links to get more general information about each project. All upcoming and past public meetings (still being held virtually) can be found at www.beltline.org/meetings. Our next Quarterly Briefing, with updates on all programmatic elements, will be held on December 3, 2020 via Zoom and Facebook with a phone call-in option. Click here to catch up on October’s updates.
- Northeast Trail – Segment 2: The pedestrian ramp between the trail and Montgomery Ferry Road should be complete by the end of the year. Planting will take place by the end of December. The trail will tentatively open again in an interim condition in January 2021. ABI is finalizing design for Phase II of this section of the trail.
- Northeast Trail – North: Concept design is underway for the southern and northern sections, with the goal of identifying a preferred alternative for the northern section between the Buford Spring Connector (near Mayson Street) and Lindbergh MARTA station. The concepts were presented at the most recent Study Group meeting and to GDOT for review. We are working through proposed alignments with Norfolk Southern Railroad.
- Details on each Northeast Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 1, Segment 2, Segments 3-6 (North).
- Gateway: construction on the connection between the Eastside Trail and Historic Fourth Ward Park continues with the construction of the elevator shaft’s steel structure, retaining walls, and bridge abutments. In November, two bridge structures will be erected and glass will be installed around the elevator shaft. Completion date for the elevator and stairs is expected to be around April 2021. This work is being completed by the developer New City. A video with an aerial view of the pedestrian bridge installation can be seen here.
- Southside Trail Segment 1: Construction is slated to be complete along this 0.8-mile section by summer 2021. A major retaining wall alongside Pittsburgh Yards is complete and backfilling work is in progress. Check out the work in this Southside Trail time lapse video. Currently, the dead end of the Westside Trail into University Avenue has an unpaved patch due to storm water pipes that were installed in October. While open for use, it will be non-ADA accessible until the Southside Trail is paved.
- Southside Trail Segments 2-5: Design work by the Kimley Horn team is still on target for completion by spring 2021 for Segments 4 and 5 and summer 2021 for Segments 2 and 3. Once design is complete, permitting with GDOT and City of Atlanta will commence.
- United Avenue bridge: As a reminder, due to removal of a former railroad bridge, the portion of the Southside Trail that crosses United Avenue requires taking stairs down to the street level and passing at a striped pedestrian crossing. We are working through the execution of a contract to fabricate a new bridge and hope to have more to announce soon. Please see this blog post for detour options that do not require stairs.
- Details on each Southside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 1 (West Segment) and Segments 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Bill Kennedy Way
- As part of interim safety improvements along Bill Kennedy Way, paving and temporary painting are complete. Concrete planters will be added to the new medians this month. Plantings for the planters will follow.
- Signals at this intersection have been installed for a pedestrian scramble to allow for safe crossing for Atlanta BeltLine users. The same type of scramble can be seen at the BeltLine and Memorial Drive and the BeltLine and DeKalb Avenue. Signals are also installed at the intersection of Bill Kennedy Way and Faith Avenue. Both are pending a permit from GDOT.
- Work is complete to route the interim Southside Trail to the west around the future access to the Avila apartments. The apartments are under construction to the east, along Glenwood Avenue, and the future driveway will enter at the T-intersection at Glenwood Avenue and Bill Kennedy Way.
- Westside Trail extension: In October 2020, ABI held a community meeting to discuss the design and alignment options for the segment between the current end of the Westside Trail at Washington Park (at Lena Street) and the intersection with the Westside BeltLine Connector (just north of Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway). Construction documents are anticipated to be complete by November 2021. Construction will be dependent upon funding availability and has not been scheduled. You can download the presentation from the public meeting on Oct. 26 and view the recording of the meeting.
- Holderness space: ABI has paved the access point between the Westside Trail and the Ashview Heights neighborhood. New sod has been installed and new curbing along the adjacent street will be installed this month to finish up the work. For now, the access point remains closed for construction. We appreciate your patience! More info in this video.
- Details on each Westside Trail segment can be found in our design and construction updates section: Segment 3 and Segment 4.
Westside BeltLine Connector
- The PATH Foundation is pouring the final stretch of trail over Boone Bridge to Northside Drive. Lighting and conduit are being installed. Handrails and planting are scheduled for late November, with tree plantings in December. Construction is anticipated to be complete in early 2021 on this 1.6-mile section between Joseph E. Boone Boulevard and Law Street. Check out our quick Westside BeltLine Connector update video.
- Construction on Segment 3 is still on track to start in January 2021 for ~1.2 miles along Marietta Boulevard ending at Huff Road. This segment of work is out to bid for construction.
- General Westside BeltLine Connector info and a photo gallery can be found at: www.beltline.org/places-to-go/westside-connector