August 4, 2023
ATLANTA (July 27, 2023) – Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. (ABI) is hosting a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the start of construction on the Northeast Trail – Segment 1. This 0.9-mile section runs alongside and through a portion of Piedmont Park from Monroe Drive to Westminster Drive. The southern end will meet the Eastside Trail and the northern end will meet Northeast Trail – Segment 2, which will be complete this fall. The trail will tie together the neighborhoods of Midtown, Virginia Highland, and Morningside.
ABI is working jointly with ATLDOT to complete additional pedestrian safety improvements at the intersection of 10th and Monroe Dr. in conjunction with the trail construction project as it crosses Monroe Drive.
Construction activities will start the week following the groundbreaking ceremony. The schedule to complete construction is approximately 12-18 months.
- Mayor Andre Dickens, City of Atlanta
- Solomon Caviness, Commissioner, ATLDOT
- Justin Cutler, Commissioner, Department of Parks and Recreation
- Alex Wan, Atlanta City Councilmember, District 6
- Dana Barrett, Fulton County Commissioner, District 3
- Natalie Hall, Fulton County Commissioner, District 4
- Michelle Olympiadis, Atlanta Public School Board Member, District 3
- Mark Banta, Executive Director, Piedmont Park Conservancy
- Leah Matthews, President, Virginia-Highland Civic Association
- Clyde Higgs, President and CEO, Atlanta BeltLine, Inc.
- Friday, August 4, 2023
- 11 to 11:45 a.m. (Media, please arrive by 10:30-10:45 to get set up)
- Following the ceremony, media interviews and tours will be available of Northeast Trail – Segment 1.
- Park Tavern, 500 10th Street, Atlanta, GA 30309.
- Alternate transportation is encouraged. This location is accessible via MARTA buses #809 and #36 as well as the red and gold trains at the Midtown transit station, located one mile away. Attendees should consider biking, walking, or using rideshare. Parking is available at Park Tavern with limited street parking on 10th
Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.
About Atlanta BeltLine, Inc.
Atlanta BeltLine, Inc.’s vision is to be the catalyst for making Atlanta a global beacon for equitable, inclusive, and sustainable city life. As one of the largest, most wide-ranging urban redevelopment programs in the United States, the Atlanta BeltLine is building a more socially and economically resilient Atlanta with our partner organizations and host communities through job creation, inclusive transportation systems, affordable housing, and public spaces for all. For more information on the Atlanta BeltLine, please visit www.BeltLine.org.
Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. Office of Communications and Media Relations
100 Peachtree Street, NW, Suite 2300, Atlanta, GA 30303
Jenny Odom, Communications & Media Relations Manager, (404) 477-3659, email@example.com
Meghann Gibbons, Vice President of Communications & Media Relations, (404) 477-3549, firstname.lastname@example.org