The streetscaping of Ponce De Leon Avenue (State Road 8) extends from Boulevard/Monroe Drive to Freedom Parkway. The primary goal of this project is to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety. Work includes the installation of sidewalks, lighting, a ramp to the BeltLine’s Eastside Trail at the northwestern corner of the Ponce De Leon Avenue bridge, a bike lane extension and raised center medians for a portion. New mast arms and signals will be installed at intersections from Boulevard to Ponce De Leon Place and there will be utility relocations throughout the project limits. Length of project is 0.68 miles.
The project is made possible by Atlanta Regional Commission’s Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) grant program. Created as a way to reduce vehicle miles traveled and improve air quality, LCI incentivizes local jurisdictions to re-envision their communities as vibrant, walkable places that offer increased mobility options, encourage healthy lifestyles, and provide improved access to jobs and services.
The general contractor has completed work on the north side of Ponce and is now moving from west to east on the south side of the road from Boulevard back toward Freedom Parkway. Clearing is complete for the new ramp between the Eastside Trail and Ponce de Leon Avenue. GDOT review and approval of the detailed ramp drawings (shop drawing submittals) may delay the completion of the ramp construction work. This project is on an 18-month schedule, and the contractor is approximately 65% complete. A virtual public meeting was held on October 30. View the recording and download the presentation.
What to expect:
- Rolling lane closures will be utilized as needed throughout the project timeline. All traffic interruptions will utilize a combination of flaggers, cones/barrel, and, if needed, off duty police officers to direct traffic to allow crews to work safely in the street. There is a potential for night construction but advanced notice will be provided any time this may occur.
- No lane closures on the weekends.
- Construction will not begin before 7:30 AM on weekdays.
- Lane Closure Restrictions are from 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM Monday – Friday and no lane closures are permitted on the weekends.
- Ingress and egress will be maintained at all times on all existing driveways.
- Work has begun on the north side of Ponce de Leon Avenue at Freedom Parkway and will continue west to Boulevard/Monroe Drive. Once the north side is complete, construction will move to the south side at Boulevard and work east back to Freedom Parkway.
- Bus stops, crosswalks, sidewalks, and established business curbcuts will be accommodated.
- Partial trail closures on the BeltLine corridor north of the Ponce bridge will be implemented as needed during ramp and stair construction.
- Trail users should use caution at the northern approach to the bridge over Ponce de Leon Avenue as some of the BeltLine right-of-way will be utilized for construction activities. This area will be fenced off for safety.
Last Updated: November 16, 2023