The streetscaping of Ponce De Leon Avenue (State Road 8) will extend from Boulevard/Monroe Drive to Freedom Parkway. The primary goal of this project is to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety. Work will include the installation of sidewalks, lighting, a ramp to the BeltLine’s Eastside Trail at the northwestern corner of the Ponce De Leon Avenue bridge, a bike lane extension and raised center medians for a portion. New mast arms and signals will be installed at intersections from Boulevard to Ponce De Leon Place and there will be utility relocations throughout the project limits. Length of project is 0.68 miles.
It is anticipated that a contract will be completed this summer for a construction firm to execute the streetscape improvements. Bids were received for the work on April 13th. Community members and property owners will be notified three weeks in advance of the start of work.
Safety + Protocols
- 18-month project schedule
- Rolling lane closures throughout the project as needed
- Partial trail closures north of Ponce Ave bridge as needed
- Work will not begin before 7:30 a.m. on weekdays.
- Night work is possible for certain activities.
- We will update any traffic changes here.
- Flaggers, cones, and off-duty police officers will be used in directing traffic throughout the project.
Last Updated: April 29, 2022