While there is still great uncertainty about the full impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, one of the Atlanta BeltLine’s affordable housing partners, Woda Cooper Companies, is already implementing initiatives to assist households impacted by the crisis.
On March 17th, the company announced the creation of an interim rental assistance fund and the waiving of late rent fees for residents whose jobs are directly impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This policy will potentially assist residents of two affordable housing BeltLine communities built, owned, and operated by Woda Cooper Companies: Stanton Oaks Apartments in Peoplestown and Adair Court in Adair Park.
In lieu of a 30th anniversary celebration later this year, the company decided to support its residents in the following ways:
- Waive all late fees for rent due April 1 for any resident who has been laid off or furloughed as a result of the coronavirus crisis;
- Establish an interim rental assistance fund of $250,000 to assist residents of our properties who have been laid off or furloughed; and
- Match the first $250,000 of contributions from our venders, lenders, and investors and add those funds to our interim resident rental assistance fund.
“We believe that unprecedented times call for unprecedented actions, and that we should all do what we can do help each other through this crisis,” stated a press release from Woda Cooper.
Additionally, City of Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms issued several Executive Orders in the last week to mitigate the effects of COVID-19. Among the Executive Orders that impact affordable housing are:
- a temporary moratorium on residential evictions and filings for a period of sixty days.
- The creation of a $7 million emergency fund to provide assistance to food programs for children and seniors, homeless preparedness, support to small businesses, assistance to hourly wage earners and other areas adversely impacted by COVID-19.
The assistance provided by the City of Atlanta and Woda Cooper Companies will help provide housing stability and ease concern of many Atlantans as we all navigate these unchartered waters together.